Monday, October 3, 2016

Post 4



Culture is different throughout the entire world. My eyes got opened to this when I first moved to America the culture shock was immediate from when you first step out of the plane into the airport everything changes from what I was used to in New Zealand. The first thing I noticed was how the pace of life in America was so much faster, it is part of the American culture that time is of the essence and can not be wasted and everyday you must follow a strict routine. For me this was quite a change in my life as I was used to a much slower pace of life where you take in what is happening around you.

Americans tend to be very ethnocentric as when I explain how how I used to do things in New Zealand which are not the same they tend for find these things weird or wrong because they do not align with the American culture. Another example of being ethnocentric is when we watched the movie God grew tired of where the lost boys thought that it was weird that in America you are only allowed one wife because in the Sudanese culture it is not strange to have more than one.

This unit has really opened my eyes to how we view other people's cultures and beliefs especially if they vary from our own because moving to America has made me more accepting to other counties cultures and also allowed me to take parts of other cultures and make it part of my own individual culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment